What is Canna Companion?
Canna Companion is a unique blend of Cannabis sativa strains, frequently referred to as hemp, designed to enhance the medical benefits of the Cannabis plant while minimizing the ‘high-inducing’ concentrations of THC. Each capsule contains a combination of phytocannabinoids, the main group of compounds in hemp, terpenes which help to modulate phytocannabinoids, and flavonoids, potent anti-inflammatories which are found in a wide variety of foods we and our pets eat. In addition, our capsules offer omega 3 & 6 fatty acids and vitamin B6, the latter of which increases bioavailability.
We pride ourselves on making a Cannabis product that is developed, manufactured and sent to you by veterinarians. Canna Companion is made with pharmaceutical and laboratory grade equipment and is in compliance with DEA and FDA cGMP recommendations, as they pertain to supplement manufacture for the strict purpose of oral administration to cats and dogs. As veterinarians, we are committed to continued research and development in order to ensure our product is safe and effective and evolves to meet the needs of your pets.
Canna Companion is 100% organic, non-GMO, hemp. We use only vegetarian capsules and ensure all of our packaging is made from recycled materials and is in turn fully recyclable. This even includes the plastic bags, labels, and business cards. Reduce! Reuse! Recycle!
How can Canna Companion help pets?
Hemp naturally contains compounds which affect the endocannabinoid system, an internal pathway found in mammals. It is a system that is both complex and simple. Its complexity lies in the fact that nearly every tissue contains receptors which respond to the phytocannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids found in hemp. It is simple in that only two known cannabinoid receptors are found in our pet’s bodies: CB1 & CB2. These two receptors interact with the body as shown on this graph:
This means that your cat or dog can benefit from Canna Companion for a variety of conditions. Some examples are listed below. For a more in depth technical discussion, please check our scientific page. It should be noted that while Canna Companion will likely help your pet, it is not designed to be the sole drug, supplement or therapy used in most cases. It works best when given in conjunction with other treatments and often allows reduction in medications that may have undesireable side effects. Please keep in mind to never change prescribed medication doses or frequency of administration without the explicit advice from your attending veterinarian. Hemp has no known negative interactions with other medications or supplements.
Here’s how Canna Companion may help your pet:
- Control chronic pain and inflammation associated with arthritis, IBD, pancreatitis, and FIC/FLUTD
- Stimulate appetite and decrease nausea
- Lower anxiety
- Reduce bronchial spasms in asthmatics
- Aid in decreasing severity of dementia
- Support the immune system for conditions like food allergies and immune-mediated diseases
- Reduce cancer-associated symptoms
- Act as a neuroprotective agent reducing seizure frequency and intensity
Canna Companion is designed to be given in two ways: mix the entire contents of one capsule into food or give the whole capsule orally near mealtime. Either way, it is best to give with food as this ensures the highest rate of absorption from the GI tract. Generally, cats need one capsule per day while dogs need a capsule twice daily. Most pets show a response within a week, but it can take up to two weeks to build up therapeutic levels.
Is Canna Companion legal and safe?
Yes. Because Canna Companion contains <0.3% THC (always tested by a local non-affiliated company for quality assurance), is made from Cannabis sativa, and is not intended for human consumption, it meets the current definition of hemp supplements under Unites States federal law. In higher concentrations, THC can be toxic to dogs and cats. That is one reason we do not advocate blowing marijuana smoke in your pet's face or administering human medical grade Cannabis to pets.
- The most common side effect is mild lethargy (due to CBD effects on the brain) which usually subsides in 3-4 days.
- A less common side effect is softer stools (not diarrhea) and an increased bowel movement frequency (due to individual fiber sensitivities -- Remember, we use the whole plant, and hemp is known for its high fiber content). A lower dose resolves the fiber sensitivity issue.
- Rarely (reported in two pets) vomiting is seen, necessitating discontinuation of Cannabis-based products.
Below is a brief description of the science behind Canna Companion - For a more detailed description, please check our scientific page.
Canna Companion is the result of 15 years of research into the endocannabinoid (EC) system and the interaction of phytocannabinoids, terpenes and flavonoids within that system. We utilized the research from multiple scientific disciplines in order to determine how these compounds positively affect mammalian physiology through interaction with the EC system.
- Biology, biochemistry and chemistry revealed the existence of the EC system and its constituent parts: receptors, ligands, receptor proteins, etc.
- Botany, horticulture and photochemistry identified the compounds which interact and activate the receptors of the system.
- Scientific principles of medicine and pharmacology, plus the multidisciplinary research and our own testing and informal clinical trials, helped us develop and refine Canna Companion.
Our efforts led to a minimally processed product capable of positively modulating mammalian physiologic and pathophysiologic processes through an appropriate mix of compounds, compound percentage ratios, dosing and administration frequency. We have used our findings from the last 8 years and our continued investigative research to identify and genetically select for the compounds inherent in hemp to help improve the quality of life for your pet.